The Institute for the Study and Treatment of Pain (iSTOP) is a non-profit organization dedicated to the understanding and treatment of soft tissue pain. We are registered as a Canadian charity (#89159 8575 RR0001), and our fees are subsidized by fundraising efforts and private donations. The doctors and physical therapists in our clinic have years of experience using Intramuscular Stimulation to treat soft tissue pain, and all have been trained and certified directly by Professor C. Chan Gunn.
iSTOP was founded in 1994 under the name “Institute for the Study of Soft Tissue and Other Pains.” In 1996 the name was changed to “The Institute for the Study and Treatment of Pain (iSTOP).” The organization was registered with Revenue Canada as a Charitable Organization, effective as of October 28, 1994.
iSTOP’s objectives are as follows:
- To fund, facilitate, develop, implement, and promote activities, facilities, and programs, which will foster the education of physicians, physiotherapists, nurses, and other healthcare professionals with respect to the early diagnosis and appropriate treatment of soft tissue disorders such as tendonitis, bursitis, carpal tunnel syndrome, other sources of pain including nerve entrapment syndromes, disc and low back pain, and myofascial pain.
- To provide funding through scholarships, bursaries, loans, and other means to needy or deserving students who wish to study the foregoing disorders of pain.
- For the objects aforesaid, to employ scholars and scientists, and to acquire, maintain, and operate lands, buildings, libraries, laboratories, research equipment, and facilities.
- To receive gifts, bequests, funds and property, and to hold, invest, develop, manage, administer, and distribute funds and property for the purposes of the Corporation, for such other organizations as are “qualified donees” under the provisions of the Income Tax Act, which are charitable at law and for such other purposes and activities as are authorized for the registered charities under the provisions of the Income Tax Act.
- To conduct any and all activities, and exercise any and all such powers as necessary for the achievement of the foregoing, and in furtherance of the objects of the Corporation.